Alsobrook - Agricola

Child Support Attorney in Auburn, AL

child support in alabamaAll children have the right to be supported financially by both of their parents. At least, that’s what the state of Alabama believes, which is why parents who do not have custody of their children are obligated to make child support payments on a recurring basis throughout the child’s life as a minor.

Child support is not optional for non-custodial parents with few exceptions, and once a child support order is issued, a parent must make payments on time and in full or be subject to legal consequences.

At the law offices of Alsobrook Jackson, our Alabama child support attorneys know that understanding the law can be difficult. For questions about your child support obligation, how much you may owe or may be entitled to, what happens if you stop paying child support, or how to enforce a child support order, we can help. Reach our family lawyers today for your consultation and answers to your tough legal questions.

How Is Child Support Calculated in Alabama?

The amount of child support that a non-custodial parent will be liable to pay to a custodial parent is based on Alabama child support guidelines. According to Alabama’s Unified Judicial System, these guidelines are based on the income shares model which was developed by the National Center for State Courts. The idea behind the income shares model is that children should continue receiving the same level of support that they would have, had the marriage remained intact.

In order to calculate the amount of support a child is entitled to, then, the court looks at parents’ combined gross income. Based on income, a child support amount is assigned. For example, the Schedule of Basic Support Obligations shows that if parents have a combined adjusted gross income of $4,000 and have one child, that child should receive $685 in support. On the other hand, if combined gross income is $12,300, the amount a child is entitled to increases to $1,209.

Once the amount that a child should receive from both parents is determined, each parent is assigned a percentage of that amount based on their income. For example, if a non-custodial father makes $7,000 per month and a custodial mother makes $5,300 per month (for a combined $12,300), the father would be responsible for roughly $688 of the $1,209 child support obligation, or about 60 percent of it, since he contributes 60 percent of total gross income.

Do Courts Ever Deviate from Child Support Guidelines?

The child support guidelines are used to assign support amounts in the majority of cases, but courts are not bound by the guidelines. Indeed, Alabama Rules of Judicial Administration read that the guidelines may be inappropriate when:

  • Parents can enter into a fair, written agreement about child support; or
  • There is evidence that suggests that strict adherence to the guidelines would be unjust or inequitable.

The rules continue to read that the court may deviate from the guidelines when:

  • Custody is shared, with both parents providing for the physical care of the child and providing financial support as such;
  • One parent has incurred extraordinary transportation costs because of a custody arrangement;
  • College expenses are incurred;
  • A child earns certain assets or income; and
  • Other factors, including any factors the court finds relevant.

Paying Child Support Is Mandatory, and Modifying a Child Support Order Is Difficult

It is very important that parents understand that once a child support order has been entered or issued by a court, adhering to the order is mandatory. A party cannot simply elect not to make child support payment, and even if something happens, like a party ordered to pay support loses their job, payments must still be made on time and in full until a court decides otherwise.

It is possible to modify a child support order, but doing so is not an easy process, and cannot be done simply because one wants more child support or wants to pay less in child support. In fact, the law requires that for a petition for modification of a child support order to be granted, the modification-seeking party must prove “a material change in circumstances that is substantial and continuing since the last order of child support.”

Enforcing a Support Order

Whether you are a party who is entitled to receive child support or a party who has been ordered to pay child support, it is important to know that if child support is not paid, there are consequences. Indeed, there are methods of enforcing a support order, which are often pursued by the Alabama Department of Human Resources. These methods include, but are not limited to:

    • Income withholding – Taking payment directly out of the paycheck of a party who has defaulted on payments;
    • Civil contempt – A party who fails to adhere to a court order can be held in contempt of court;
  • Income tax intercept – A party’s income tax refund can be seized; and
  • Arrest – If a judge orders a party to come to a hearing due to failure to pay child support payments and the party does not show up, an arrest warrant may be issued.

Other potential enforcement remedies include placing a lien against a party’s assets, reporting the party to a credit bureau, and even federal prosecution.

Child Support Attorneys in Alabama Working for You

Providing financial support for a child is one key role as a parent, and if you’re getting divorced, you can be sure that child support will be a term that you become very familiar with. At the law offices of Alsobrook Jackson our experienced Alabama child support and family law attorneys can help you to understand how support is calculated, when child support is necessary, how much you may owe, how to enforce a support order, or/and when modification of a child support order may be appropriate.

To learn more about child support obligations, please call our law firm today. You can reach us at 334-737-3718. You can also stop by our office at your convenience, or send us a message with your question using the intake form on our website.

Back to Family Law

Share This Page:
Sundown Legal Marketing

© 2014 - 2018 Alsobrook Law Firm. All rights reserved.
This is a Sundown Legal Marketing law firm website.