You may be considering hiring a personal injury attorney if you have sustained serious injuries in an accident due to someone else’s negligence. In many ways, deciding to pursue a lawsuit is the easy part. It’s finding the most qualified Alabama personal injury attorney to take your case that can be challenging. While it’s understandable that you want to get your case started well before the statute of limitations runs out, rushing through this step and hiring the first lawyer you contact could cause you to lose your case. You will then be without the financial compensation you need to rebuild your life after a serious injury.
Make the Most of Your Initial Consultation
Many personal injury attorneys, including Zachary Alsobrook and Raymond Jackson of Alsobrook Jackson, offer free consultations to learn more about their potential client’s case. We encourage you to schedule consultations with at least two personal injury law firms and then compare notes to see which one can best serve your needs. Pay attention to the attorney’s professionalism and whether he or she gives you their undivided attention during the meeting. This is a good indicator of what you can expect when you become his or her client.
Initial consultations can last anywhere from 15 minutes to one hour. We encourage you to prepare questions in advance to maximize the time you have with the attorney. Some typical questions that clients ask us during the first meeting include:
- How much experience do you have representing people in cases like mine? This is one of the most important questions you can ask and vital to learn about a prospective personal injury lawyer. The person you meet with may have worked as an attorney for years and still have little experience helping accident victims obtain financial compensation. Mr. Alsobrook and Mr. Jackson are both experienced personal injury attorneys who will use their research, negotiation, and courtroom trial skills to fight for a fair settlement on your behalf.
- When and how often will you communicate with me? Strong attorney-client communication is vital in any case. You want to work with someone who will return your calls and with whom you can speak directly whenever you have a question. An ethical personal injury attorney will contact you each time he or she receives a settlement offer on your case and never accept or deny an amount without your approval.
- How long will my case take to settle and how much can I expect if I win? While every personal injury case is unique, an experienced Alabama personal injury lawyer should be able to provide an accurate estimate of how long it will take to receive a settlement or go to court. However, you should be wary of any attorney who promises a victory or quotes an exact amount you could win. A ballpark figure is acceptable based on similar cases in the past, but too many variables exist between cases for the lawyer to claim he or she would win the case and that you would receive a set dollar amount.
- How many other cases do you have right now? You want a personal injury lawyer who is busy enough to be in demand, but not so busy that he or she constantly takes on new cases and can’t keep up with them. You have the right to know how much personal attention you can expect.
- Ask the attorney about potential pitfalls. You want to make sure you hire an attorney that understands Alabama law, recognizes that every case could hit a speed bump or two and you want to partner with a firm that prepares every case as if it were going to trial.
Some Other Factors to Consider
It is important to evaluate the law office in its entirety before deciding on which attorney to hire. Treat you visit as if you were “interviewing” the firm. For example, did someone return your call promptly when you requested a free consultation? Was the receptionist polite and did he or she limit the time you had to wait on the phone or in the office on the day of your appointment? The impression you feel when you first arrive is usually the correct one. If the law office appears messy and disorganized, you are not likely to receive quality service. If the office seems to be well run, it is indicative of the culture of the law firm and you will most likely receive good service.
Hire an Experienced Alabama Accident Attorney
We are confident that you will find satisfactory answers to your questions as well as form a great first impression of Alsobrook Jackson, Attorneys at Law. Please contact our Opelika office to request a free and confidential review of your legal issue and work toward getting you the compensation you need to move forward. If you retain our services, we will aggressively pursue the outcome you deserve. We can be reached at (334) 737-3718 or online through our website contact form.